No injuries, little damage reported
A floor fan is being blamed for a small fire in Eagle Hall Thursday night, Aug. 9
La Crosse firefighters were called to the south wing of the UWL residence hall just before 7 p.m. where they found the activated sprinkler system had snuffed out the fire. No injuries were reported and no students were living in the hall at the time. Damage was minimal and mainly due to water from the sprinkler system.
The fan had been placed in the hallway earlier in the day to help dry carpets after they were cleaned.
Lisa Weston, Assistant Director of Residence Life, says all indications point to a clean up of the incident before students return for the fall semester at the end of the month. There is no estimate on the cost of damage. State and UW System Risk Management personnel and an insurance adjustor are expected on campus mid-day Friday, Aug. 10.
Eagle Hall is the university’s newest hall, opening in 2011. Around 700 students live in the hall during the semester.