Dozens of faculty, staff, students join to teach summer camps at UWL
UWL Faculty, staff, students and community came together this June to bring area youth hands-on learning experiences in math and science.
The 2018 Girls in Science and Boys’ Science Exploration Camps were held June 23–24 at UWL. This marked the 20th year for the girls’ program and the 8th year for the boys’ program.
Children entering grades 6–8 participated in the camps, which aimed to encourage interest in science and math through a variety of activities. The girls and boys worked with UWL faculty and staff in hands-on experimentation, investigation and involvement in the fields of math and science. Susan Kelly, professor of Mathematics & Statistics, directs the program.
Faculty and staff who taught and helped this year:
• Connie Arzigian, Ph.D., Archaeology/Anthropology, Stone-Age Life: Could You Cut It?
• Basudeb Bhattacharyya, Ph.D., Chemistry and Biochemistry, C How Much Do You Spew?
• Faye Ellis, M.S., Biology, Crime Scene Investigation: The Case of Jason Worth
• Samantha Foley, Ph.D., Computer Science, Talking to Computers: How the Internet Works
• Whitney George, Ph.D., Mathematics and Statistics, Discovering Mathematics with a Deck of Cards
• Kelly Gorres, Ph.D., Chemistry and Biochemistry, C How Much Do You Spew?
• Sumei Liu, Ph.D., Biology, Junkyard Digestion
• Seth King, Ph.D., Physics, Roller Coasters!
• Heidi Masters, Ph.D., Educational Studies, Save the Penguins Habitat
• Kendric Nelson, Ph.D., Chemistry/Biochemistry, When Light and Matter Collide, There’s Chemistry
• Amy Nicodemus, Ph.D., Archaeology/Anthropology, Making Bones Speak!
• James Peirce, Ph.D., Mathematics and Statistics, How Not to Get Sick (of Math)!
• Christine Schwartz, Ph., D., Biology, Zombie Brains!
Resident assistants and UWL alums
• Tim Koplin — Second year
• Bryan Krueger — Seventh year
• Alyssa Sauer — First year
• Allison (Ally) Theil — First year
• Becky Vara — Fifth year
• Justin Vara — Second year
• Kyle Vara — Eighth year
• Kathleen Becker
• Ricky Cheng
• Dmytro Dundukov
• Tim Griffin
• Melissa Hammer
• Aaron Kraft
• Marie Nelson
• Mekaela Opsahl
• Israel Ostrem
• Jaelyn Roland
The Office of Continuing Education, with special thanks to:
• Milandrie Wakim, Program Manager
• Karen McGarvey, Program Associate
Scholarships were offered to middle school students in Onalaska, Holmen, Longfellow, Lincoln and Logan Middle Schools. Funds were provided from a variety of sources including:
• Gundersen Health Care Grant
• March for Science
• UWL Continuing Education and Extension Excel funds
• Private individuals:
o Robert Allen, Ph.D., Mathematics and Statistics
o Constance Arzigian, Ph.D., Archaeology and Anthropology
o Tony DeSalva II, and his wife, Pamela, interested community members
o Anne Galbraith, Ph.D., Biology
o Susan Kelly, Ph.D., Mathematics and Statistics
Also, a special thanks to sponsors:
• UWL Continuing Education and Extension
• UWL College of Science and Health
• Mississippi Valley Gifted and Talented Network
• Mississippi Valley Archaeology Center
• Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
• Gundersen Health System
• Bosshard Parke Law Firm
Check out these links to articles in the news.
UWL celebrates 20 years of program for middle schoolers ~~ December 1, 2017, UWL Campus News
UW-La Crosse program helps middle school students develop passion for science ~~ June 24, 2018 WXOW.com
UW-La Crosse hosts children’s summer science camp | Growing interest in science education ~~ June 24, 2018 NEWS8000.com (WKBT)
Middle school boys study effects of heat on penguin habitats at UW-La Crosse science camp ~~ June 24, 2018 La Crosse Tribune