College students from La Crosse’s three institutions of higher education will join for a day of service in the community. Students from UW-La Crosse, Viterbo University and Western Technical College will meet at 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 25, in Weigent Park (1500 Cass St.) to form teams before heading out to “Make a Difference Day.” La Crosse Mayor Tim Kabat will attend to send off the students. There will also be music and refreshments in the park for workers from 2:30-4 p.m.
Teams from the city’s three higher ed institutions will provide services for a wide variety of projects. Among them:
- Benedictine Manor – gardening
- Eco Park – set up/take down for Great Pumpkin Chase and Enchanted Forest
- Festival Foods – Boo Fest – trick or treating in stores
- Hunger Task Force/Kane Street Garden – help with year-end garden projects
- La Crosse YMCA – clean family fun center
- La Crosse Public Library – help with book fair
- Salvation Army – organize shelves, process donations at Thrift Store
- Capable K-9s – set up training area
- Bethany St. Joseph – rake leaves and clean up gardens
- HorseSense – pack up office and tack room to move
- Riverfront – cleaning
- La Crescent’s Neighbors in Action – rake lawns
- Warming Center
Participants will receive free t-shirts, food, music, and prizes will be provided after service.
For more information:
Reporters wanting more information should contact Kaila Stencil, UW-L Leadership and Involvement Center Peer Adviser at 608.785.6600 or Shannon Edminster, graduate assistant in the UW-L Leadership and Involvement Center, at 608.785.8888.