Alumni Association to celebrate 50 years
When you turn 50, you’re often greeted with black balloons, obnoxious birthday cards and countless health remedies.
But when the UWL Alumni Association turns 50 later this month, expect maroon and gray balloons, campus trivia and a trip down memory lane.
Numerous fun activities are planned — a Saturday morning brunch featuring Mr. D’s donuts, a favorite among college students until the popular restaurant closed, a visit to Third Street, a football game at Memorial Field and more.
The Alumni Association is just hitting its prime in its first half century, says Janie Morgan, executive director of the group. It’s not only a time to look back, but also a time to look forward celebrating alumni.
“Yes, the Association is turning 50, but this is an opportunity for us to celebrate UWL alumni who have used their education to make the world a better place,” says Morgan who graduated from UWL with a bachelor’s in 1985 and a master’s in 1986.
Most events are on campus or in La Crosse, except for the Big Birthday Give Back that includes community service days in which alums are encouraged to volunteer in their communities.
The complete list of activities includes:
Through Saturday, Oct. 26 — Alumni Art Invitational, University Art Gallery, Center for the Arts, 333 N. 16th St. A reception with the artists runs from 4-6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25, in the gallery. The exhibit and reception are free.
Friday, Oct. 25 —
• Join the Maroon Wave (All alumni are asked to wear maroon clothing at their worksites.)
• Happy “Birthday” Hour Pub Crawl, 4-8 p.m., Third Street. Registration required.
• Friday Night Flick “Yesterday”, 7 and 9:30 p.m., Student Union Theatre. Free.
Saturday, Oct. 26 —
• Big Birthday Bash Brunch, 8-10 a.m. Cleary Center. Registration required.
• Campus Open House and Tours, 10 a.m.- noon, meet at the Cleary Alumni & Friends Center. Free.
• Wall of Fame Induction Ceremony, 10:30 a.m. Mitchell Hall. Free.
• Art Alumni Invitational Last Blast, noon-5 p.m., University Art Gallery. Free.
• Pre-game L-Club Tent, Stadium Parking Lot. Free.
• Football: UWL vs. UW Oshkosh, 1 p.m. Roger Harring Stadium. Tickets available at the gate.
Get the latest on the Big Birthday Bash at: www.uwlax.edu/alumni/birthday