Oct. 21-25 celebration includes pop-up advising, panel, pumpkin decorating and more
National Transfer Student Week (NTSW) is celebrated Oct. 21-25. With more than 1,100 transfer students enrolled at UWL, the university has a lot to celebrate.
Each day of the week a UWL student’s story will be highlighted, learning about their transfer journey and the reasons why they chose UWL’s beautiful campus, nestled in the bluffs.
More than 8,000 students transfer throughout the University of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Technical Systems each year. Yet, even with such large numbers, the transfer student experience is often invisible, notes José Rubio-Zepeda, transfer advisor at UWL.
“Faculty and staff puzzle over how to integrate these students into their campuses; fellow students don’t know what to make of the new faces. All of us miss how vital new voices and ideas can be to a college campus,” explains Celinda Davis, UWL transfer advisor.
Throughout NTSW, UWL will have the honor of amplifying and celebrating transfer students’ many contributions to the campus and community.
Davis and Rubio-Zepeda feel that National Transfer Student Week is one of many ways to celebrate transfer students at UWL and normalize the wish many students have to find a home away from home on campus.
“We hope to instill more awareness about diverse transfer student needs, build empathy for these students, and facilitate a seamless transition to the university for them,” says Rubio-Zepeda.
To learn more information about National Transfer Student Week, visit The National Institute for the Study of Transfer Students website where individuals can share their own transfer story using #TransferStudentWeek.
Transfer week events
- Monday, Oct. 21: National Transfer Student Week Breakfast Kickoff! 8:30-10 a.m. (invite only) 3310 Student Union
- Tuesday, Oct. 22: Pop-Up Transfer Advising, 10 a.m-2 p.m, outside of Academic Advising Center and Career Service’s (AACCS) lobby, Centennial Hall
- Wednesday, Oct. 23: Transfer Student Panel, 3-4 p.m., 1235 Centennial Hall
- Thursday, Oct. 24: Pumpkin Decorating Event, 2-4 p.m., 3105 Student Union
- Friday, October 25: Transfer Student Celebration Bash, 3-5 p.m., Academic Advising Center and Career Services Lobby, Centennial Hall; refreshments will be served