Activities planned for honoring, celebrating vets
UWL Military Science Department Chair Lt. Col. Erik Archer and a team of area veterans know fellow vets appreciate the support they receive in the Coulee Region and want to give back. So the team came together to plan a series of events to do just that.
The result is the first “Coulee Region Veterans Week” which kicks off Saturday, Nov. 9. Along with the popular Veterans Day Breakfast and a football game at Veterans Memorial Field Sports Complex, the week will include a variety of events with some for just getting vets together, as well as volunteering in the community. “We expect our first year to be humble,” explains Archer.
“We know that things with weight and gravity take discipline and time to develop.”
The group has planned events on the three college campuses — UWL, Viterbo and WTC — along with other popular venues targeting to bring veterans together.
“Our intent is not more honorifics and thank-yous, but dialogue and engagement as fellow community teammates,” says Archer.
The complete schedule includes:
Saturday, Nov. 9
• Habitat for Humanity Veterans Build Day — 8 a.m.-12 p.m. or 11 a.m.-3 p.m., 1608 Prospect St.
• Veterans Day Almost 5K — 9 a.m., La Crosse Veterans Center
• Veterans Tailgate–UWL vs. Eau Claire — 8:30 a.m., UWL Veterans Stadium Parking lot
• UWL Football Game Honoring Veterans — 11:30 a.m., UWL Veterans Memorial Field Sports Complex
Monday, Nov. 11
• Veterans Breakfast — 8 a.m., UWL Mitchell Hall
• Hall of Honor Re-Dedication Ceremony — 9:45 a.m., UWL Hall of Honor, UWL Veterans Memorial Field Sports Complex
• Veterans Day Remembrance Service and Lunch — 11:30 a.m., Veterans Day address by Brigadier General John C. Hanley, United States Army, Retired, San Damiano Chapel, Viterbo University Campus
• Bringing the Highground Veteran Memorial Park to La Crosse —5:30 p.m., Lunda Center, Western Technical College
Tuesday, Nov. 12
• “Almost Sunrise” film screening followed by Q&A with Anthony Anderson — 6 p.m., UWL Student Union Theater
Thursday, Nov. 14
• Presentation by Sergeant First Class Mike Mesmer, U.S. Army, Retired — 6 p.m., San Damiano Chapel, Viterbo University Campus
Friday, Nov. 15
Military Family Day
• Houser YMCA Family Fit Fun with Shelly L. – 10:30-11:15 a.m., Fitness Studio A
Zumba for Families with Brooke B. – 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m., Fitness Studio B
• Dahl YMCA Family Yoga with Cheryl N. — 5-5:35 p.m., Fitness Studio
Saturday, Nov. 16
• Veteran Community Service Project — Two shifts, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. and 11 a.m.-3 p.m., 611 Adams St. La Crosse.
For more information, visit www.viterbo.edu/coulee-region-veterans-week.