39 works selected overall for this year’s show
Fifteen pieces of artwork have earned awards at the Annual All-Students Juried Art Exhibition at UW-La Crosse.
The awards were announced at the opening reception Friday, March 7, in the University Art Gallery. Awards, the artists and their works included:
- La Crosse Society of Arts and Crafts Award — Jim Bennett, Amish Harvest, Corn, oil on canvas
- Ray Sherin Award, — Aspyn (Breuer), The Aquatarians, cast aluminum
- Louise Drum Award, Megan Danahy, Arise, oil on canvas
- Betty L. Kendrick Award — Kayla DeBacco, Overworked, Clay, acrylic paint and See Salt, salt, watercolor, hot glue and spray paint
- Marion Beihn Award — Molly Duggan, Carried Away, Watercolor
- Bill Fiorini Award — Madison Hager, Diptych, Study in Light, plexi-glass and charcoal
- Carol Hutchins Winther Award — Madison Hager, Refracted Idea, CD and ceramic
- A.A.U.W. Award — Carrie Hilson, The Missing Heritage, acrylic on canvas
- James Quillin Award — Ben Kremer, Designated Driver, offset two-color woodcut
- Bill Kader Award — Kristin Lake, That Way, intaglio
- All Students Art Exhibition Award — Nou Lee, Epidermis, Mixed media drawing, and Into the Wild, photograph
- Catherine Crail Award — Britney Mullenbach, Phenotype Epigentics, archival ink jet print
- Richard Kohler Award — Danielle Nolden, Thank You Society, oil paint and cold wax
- Milton and Margaret Kosbab Award — Shelby Phillips, The Great Gatsby, colored pencil and pastel
- RuthAnn Knapp Award for Metals — Sam Posso, Dismemberment, Bronze, copper and nickel
The 12 pieces earned more than $1,000 in cash. The awards are supported by the UW-L Foundation and local donors.
Other works selected for the exhibit include:
- Adam R. Brown — Totem Pole Self, Collage/Sculpture, and Pipestone II, graphite on multimedia paper
- Melissa Buss — Catsquirrel, graphic design
- Merari Cordova — Mood Altering, gelatin print
- Joseph Keenan — Fractal Stump, cast aluminum
- Kayla Kirchner — Untitled, charcoal/eraser
- Casey Liston — Untitled, paper clips and plywood
- Andrew Musil — Jim’s Shoe Repair, photogravure
- Tom Sheely — I Promised You Forever, forged steel
- Mike Spicer — Flamingo, steel
- Elizabeth Staveness — Untitled, silver gelatin print
- Elizabeth West — Untitled, rubber bands on board, and Untitled, charcoal on paper
- Ian Wright — Purple Haze, glazed porcelain
The 39 works for the show by 29 artists were selected from 156 pieces submitted by 65 students. The exhibit runs through Saturday, April 5. (The gallery will close for Spring Break March 15-23).
This year’s judges were professors Justin Quinn, St. Cloud University, and Allen Brewer, Minneapolis College of Art and Design.
Regular gallery hours are noon-8 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, noon-5 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and during events in Toland Theatre or by appointment. Admission is free.