What to expect when there’s bad weather
UWL implements its Inclement Weather Plan when conditions make travel dangerous.
During deteriorating weather conditions, it should be assumed that scheduled activities will continue unless an official announcement is made via University Communications and University Police.
Those who travel to or from campus should use their judgment as to whether or not such travel is wise.
When the weather turns bad, get any changes to the university’s regular schedule via these:
- university’s website, https://www.uwlax.edu – An alert notification will run across the top of every page.
- email to all employees and students.
- social media (Facebook and Twitter).
- updates via phone and email from UWL Alert (RAVE) for class cancellations or campus closures.
- campus digital signage
- local media: on air and via their websites.
See the complete plan.
When university classes and events are canceled — Typically, employees must report for work with any work changes in accordance with the UW System Inclement Weather Policy. In summary:
- Hourly employees who do not report to work, report late, or leave work before the end of the workday because of weather conditions will be allowed to make up lost time during the remainder of the work week, as much time as is beneficial to the work unit. Makeup time shall be at the regular rate of pay. Hourly employees may also take leave without pay, vacation, personal holiday, or compensatory time to cover the absence.
- Salaried employees may use available annual leave (vacation), available holidays, or leave without pay to cover inclement weather absences. An employee and the employee’s supervisor may agree that the employee can account for the time of the absence in another manner consistent with the professional nature of the employee’s work assignment.